Scott B. Garner is a partner at Umberg Zipser LLP in Irvine, California. He represents clients in complex business litigation matters, with a particular focus on professional liability disputes and ethics counseling. He has represented large, mid-size, and small law firms, along with individual lawyers, in pre-litigation and litigation disputes concerning claims of legal malpractice, ethical violations, and securities fraud arising from their litigation, transactional, and IP practices. He recently won a complete defense verdict in a legal malpractice jury trial. Scott also consults with clients on legal ethics issues, and has testified as an expert witness on ethics and standard of care issues. He also defends lawyers in State Bar disciplinary proceedings.
Scott also represents a wide array of public and non-public companies in a variety of matters, including contract disputes, intellectual property disputes, securities litigation, and hospital and healthcare law matters.
Scott is active in Bar and community organizations. He currently is the President-Elect of the Orange County Bar Association, and serves as Co-Chair of the OCBA Professionalism and Ethics Committee. From 2010-16, he was a member of the California State Bar’s Committee on Professional Responsibility and Conduct, serving as the Committee’s Chair in 2014-15. He is a Past President of the Orange County Chapter of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers and a current member of the Board of Directors of the Junior State of America Foundation.
Scott earned a JD cum laude from Harvard Law School in 1991 and a B.A with distinction from Stanford University in 1988.
- Co-Chair, Professionalism and Ethics Committee, Orange County Bar Association
- Former Chair, Committee on Professional Responsibility and Conduct, State Bar of California
- President-Elect, Orange County Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Orange County Bar Association Charitable Fund
- Member, Finance Committee, Orange County Bar Association
- Past President, Orange County Chapter, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Member, Board of Directors, The Junior State of America Foundation
- Former Chair, Ethics Subcommittee of the Insurance and Risk Management Committee, ABA Intellectual Property Law Section