Nicole Ballew Chang is a patent agent with Umberg Zipser LLP where she focuses her practice on patent prosecution in biotechnology, life sciences, and chemical arts. Nicole’s educational and professional background serves clients well in her role on the Umberg Zipser team. Her vast experience in molecular and cellular biology provides her with unique insight into the intellectual property challenges faced by those in the scientific industries, and allows her to provide clients with strategic solutions. Nicole also provides valuable support for due diligence and licensing matters.
Prior to joining Umberg Zipser, Nicole served as a patent agent at Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie, LLP where she advised and strategized on patent prosecution matters, including patentability and freedom to operate searches. She has extensive experience working directly with researchers at academic institutions and companies to draft and prosecute patent applications in technologies ranging from HIV antibodies, DNA origami, CRISPR technologies on substrates and insect models, and molecular and cellular therapies.
- Li H, Sethuraman N, Stadheim TA, Zhe D, Prinz B, Ballew N, …Gerngross TU. Optimization of Humanized IgGs in Glycoengineered Pichia pastoris, Nature Biotechnol, Vol. 24, 210-215, January 2006.
- Nicole Ballew, Yiting Liu, Charles Barlowe. A Rab Requirement is Not Bypassed in SLY1-20 Suppression. Molecular Biology of the Cell, Vol. 16, 1839-1849, April 2005.
- Nicole Ballew and Tillman Gerngross. Production of therapeutic proteins in fungal hosts. Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, Vol. 4, No. 5, 623-626, May 2004.
- Nicole L. Ballew. Affinium Pharmaceuticals, Inc: Structure-Guided Drug Discovery. Chemistry & Biology, Vol. 11, 583-584, May 2004.
- Nicole L. Ballew. Benitec, Ltd. Gene Silencing from Down Under. Chemistry & Biology, Vol. 11, 285-286, March 2004.