Todd Smith’s practice focuses on complex business litigation in state and federal courts. He represents companies and individuals in partnership disputes, shareholder and derivative litigation, breach of contract and fiduciary duty claims, financial services litigation, real estate disputes, protection of intellectual property rights, trade secrets, and unfair competition claims. Todd also represents law firms and lawyers in legal malpractice actions. He is experienced in all phases of litigation, including trials, arbitrations, mediations, and appeals, as well as regulatory proceedings and internal investigations. Todd recently won a complete defense verdict in a legal malpractice jury trial on behalf of an international law firm.
Todd is an active member of several local and national bar organizations and has written and spoken on a variety of legal topics, including presenting Continuing Legal Education courses on legal ethics and professional responsibility issues. He also is a member of CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates), an organization that supports and advocates on behalf of foster youth in Orange County.
Before joining Umberg Zipser, Todd was a litigator at two large international law firms where his practice focused on defending businesses in commercial litigation and representing law firms in legal malpractice suits.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Southern California Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2010)
- Norma G. Zarky Memorial Award for Excellence in Legal Writing (USC Gould School of Law)
- Member, American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Member, Orange County Chapter, Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Member, Federal Bar Association of Orange County
- Member, Orange County Bar Association