Martin has almost two decades of experience in domestic and International patent prosecution, predominantly working with clients in the fields of biochemistry and molecular biology, bioinformatics, medical devices, pharmaceutical chemistry, organic chemistry, electrochemistry, chemical engineering, and general mechanical arts.
Martin is a patent agent with Umberg Zipser LLP. In addition to preparing and prosecuting U.S., PCT, and foreign patent applications, Martin provides clients with patent portfolio analysis and IP strategy to ensure clients have and will obtain patent coverage that is relevant to their business. Clients rely heavily on Martin and his expertise with patentability, freedom-to-operate, and infringement analyses, as well as his brainstorming sessions on strategies to avoid potential or existing infringement issues.
Martin has represented a large variety of clients across multiple industries ranging from Fortune 500 companies and publicly traded companies to domestic and foreign universities, small business entities, and individual inventors. He also holds several patents in the biotechnology area. Martin successfully completed advanced training courses in PCT and EPO patent prosecution, and has substantial experience in patent practice in many foreign countries, including Australia, Canada, China, Israel, India, Japan, Russia, and most European countries. Martin is fluent in English and German, and proficient in French.
Before his career in patent prosecution, Martin enjoyed several years of postdoctoral research at The Scripps Research Institute. Martin was also a project leader in a biotechnology company in San Diego, CA, developing recombinant proteins with tailored substrate specificities.
HONORS & AWARDS
- 2-year DFG (German Research Foundation) postdoctoral grant
- Portfolio development for various desktop/point-of-care analytical devices
- Portfolio development for antiviral drugs, anticancer drugs, and recombinant viral and bacterial vaccines
- Portfolio development for cancer immune therapeutics and methods
- Portfolio development for bioinformatics processing and uses of omics data
- Portfolio development for functional food and nutraceuticals
- Various patents on implantable devices (stents, drug-eluting polymers, etc.)
- Portfolio development for energy storage devices
- Portfolio development for lead acid battery recycling devices and processes
- Numerous patents on plants and processes for chemical processing of hydrocarbons and acid gas removal