Compliance with government regulations and winning governmental approvals has become a necessary component for every successful business in every industry. Creating and executing a strategy to obtain the right governmental approvals for growing or starting a business can mean the difference between a successful venture or a wasted investment. Likewise, investigations by governmental agencies can be devastating to any business. Addressing investigations early and with the appropriate decision-makers means avoiding their paralyzing impact. When working with federal, state or local governments, it is critical to have legal representatives who can be effective advocates for your business at all levels of government.
Umberg/Zipser’s lawyers draw upon decades of experience at every level of government, from local and state elected office to working in the White House. We have successfully intervened on behalf of energy companies, high tech entities, health care concerns, and individuals to avoid regulatory sanctions and to obtain positive regulatory approvals. We have also appeared before regulatory and administrative agencies to get the right approvals for projects in the hundreds of millions of dollars. We know how government works, from the inside, and the people who make the critical decisions.
Our attorneys are adept in developing effective, practical strategies to address the governmental issues that impact our clients, whether complex business challenges or public policy advocacy. We represent our clients before judges, government boards, commissions, agencies, and legislatures. These may include the California Coastal Commission, California State Lands Commission, State Water Resources Control Board and Regional Water Quality Control Boards, Department of Industrial Relations, CalEPA, CalTrans, the Board of Equalization, and hundreds of other agencies.
Our representation includes:
- Administrative and legislative hearings
- Constitutional law/civil rights
- Contracts and Procurement
- Employer regulations
- Environmental regulations
- Regulatory proceedings
- Represented Fortune 100 Energy Corporation in FERC and California Attorney General investigations. No fines or charges were assessed or filed.
- Represented Fiber Optic Corporation before California Coastal Commission, State Lands Commission and the US Army Corps of Engineers. Permits granted to install fiber optic cable off the California coast.
- Represented a major Defense Contractor in a Foreign Corrupt Practices investigation by the US Department of Justice and the UK Ministry of Defence. The investigation concluded with no adverse consequences to the client.